Public Advisory: Tips for Safe Use of Pesticides
Municipal Affairs and Environment
September 19, 2017
When residents choose to use pesticides in their homes andgardens, they must ensure that those pesticides are registered with HealthCanada and that label directions are followed for safe and proper use.
Any pesticide that is made, imported, sold, and used inCanada undergoes a scientific review by Health Canada’s Pest ManagementRegulatory Agency. Registered pesticides are given a Pest Control Productnumber, which means they are permitted to be sold in Canada. Using unregisteredpesticides can cause serious harm to you, your family, pets, and theenvironment.
After confirming the pesticide has a Pest Control Productnumber on the label, following the label directions and warnings is the mostimportant action that a user can take to ensure they use the product safely andcorrectly.
Tips for safe use of pesticides:
- Use only products registered for use in Canada. Consumerscan find out about registered products and active ingredients using HealthCanada’s online product label search or the new Pesticide Labels free mobileapp;
- Follow all label warnings and directions, and only use apesticide for its stated purpose;
- Wear protective clothing, gloves, and other equipment, asspecified on the product label;
- Federal guidelines recommend not spraying a pesticideoutdoors if wind speed is more than 8 km per hour, if the air temperature isabove 30°C, or if it is raining;
- Avoid homemade recipes – these products are not tested nordo they have labels. It is especially dangerous to boil a product on the stove,or to use ingredients such as gasoline, kerosene, or boric acid;
- Store pesticides out of the reach of children and pets;
- If you suspect poisoning, call 911 immediately;
- When in doubt, hire a professional licensed pest controloperator; and
- Check with your city or province to see if there are localrestrictions against the use of certain approved products.
For additional information from the Department of MunicipalAffairs and Environment on safe pesticide use, call 1-800-563-6181.